ADRIANNE & ADAM HARRIS


Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 1

I know. Bad Blogger Syndrome has struck again. It has been A WHILE since I last updated (except for the small previous post about the 1 YEAR ENGAGEMENT and THAT was pretty important if you ask me!) I finished my LAST DAY of official classes EVER on April 29th and had 2 weeks to "rest" before beginning rotations which started today. It was bittersweet leaving my last final ever and walking off Auburn's campus for the last time that Friday afternoon. Auburn has been my home since I left home 7 years ago. I'm ready for a change, but I'm not going to say I won't miss this place terribly!

Today was Day 1 of a year of unpaid free work as I like to call it. However, I am actually pretty excited about it. We did lots of "orienting" today so tomorrow will be the first actual day I suppose. I can officially say I am a federal employee (except for the fact that I am not getting paid). My first rotation is at the VA in Columbus, Georgia, a community based outpatient clinic for veterans. I will be commuting from Auburn to Columbus each day. Now, let's do a little exercise.....I have to be there at 7:30 AM.....THAT MEANS 6:30 AM-Central time...AND THAT MEANS I will leave around 5:30ish...AND THAT MEANS I have to get up sometime before that! Okay, this may not sound that bad to some of you. However, if you know me, this is going to require a major life change. I will admit, I am somewhat of a morning person IF I EVER ACTUALLY GET UP! Don't get me wrong, I don't like to sleep late, but 5 AM is EARLY! Luckily tomorrow I do not have to be in Columbus until 8:15 AM so that gives a little extra time for some shut-eye.

Tomorrow (& most Tuesdays), I will be heading to the anticoag clinic (anticoagulation, basically meaning blood thinners...these are drugs such as Coumadin (Warfarin), Lovenox (enoxaparin), and Pradaxa (dabigatran) to name a few you may have heard of). At the anticoag clinic, I will evaluate the patients' labs and counsel them on their medications. At this particular rotation site, the pharmacist has the authority to adjust/change medications. Therefore, starting tomorrow I too will legally have the authority to do the same under the supervision of my precepting pharmacist of course.

Wednesdays-Fridays, I will see patients in the clinic. The patients will come in just like a check up at the doctors office. Again, I will evaluate any labs and make recommendations for any changes that need to be made. And Mondays, we will not see any patients and have somewhat of a "work day." (As if the other days aren't work days.)

This is all very new and exciting. During the first 3 years of pharmacy school, we mostly sat in classrooms. We did have the opportunity to visit patients but mainly on a weekly basis instead of day-to-day. I look forward to actually working in the field daily instead of being stuck in the classroom. It is still going to be hard work, but hopefully a little more tolerable. :)

Well, I suppose I need to go brush up on anticoagulation therapy for tomorrow. For the next 5 weeks or until next time, you can find me somewhere between Columbus and Auburn.

2 comments:

  1. The absolute worst part about having to get up and leave early (at least for me) is that it requires you to go to bed earlier and you have to miss a lot of good TV shows!! Or at least I bet they are good shows. I've never actually seen any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewww . . . that is early. I hope your first rotation goes well. I know you will do great!

    ReplyDelete