After just 1 1/2 short months since the passing of her mother, one of my very best friends Courtney Porter is now MISS ALABAMA 2011! She was crowned last night and her world has been turned upside down! Words cannot express how excited and proud I am of her. I truly cannot think of a more deserving person!

Courtney and I met on the Plains of Auburn University 6 years ago when she made Tiger Paws and I was a second year returning member! (She is one year younger than me.) We cheered on The Tigers for 3 years together and remained close friends after graduation. She is even one of my bridesmaids and someone I am honored to have standing with me on my special day. During the time when we cheered together, my mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 endometrial cancer. It such a hard time in my life, but Courtney stood by me. She would always ask with genuine concern how not only my mom was doing, but also how I was doing. Oddly enough, about 2 years after my mother was diagnosed, Courtney's mother too was diagnosed with Stage 4 liver cancer. We stood by one another through it all! Experiencing this together has been the glue to our bond making our friendship something special.

Throughout the years I have known Courtney, she has competed and placed in Miss Alabama many times. It was a passion her and her mother shared!

For those of you who don't know, in order to compete for Miss Alabama, contestants must win a preliminary to qualify them. Miss Alabama is part of the Miss America organization. Participants receive scholarship money to further their education and such. Miss America is not to be confused with Miss USA. "Miss America represents the highest ideals. She is a real combination of beauty, grace, and intelligence, artistic and refined. She is a type which the American Girl might well emulate."

The picture above is so special!!!! It gives me chills!!! About 1 1/2 months ago, Courtney's mother lost her 2 year battle with cancer. Before she passed away, Courtney's mother made her promise she would finish this year and compete in Miss Alabama. So with that promise, it wasn't easy but that's what she did! I truly believe her mother has been her shining star this week and is smiling down on her now.

Courtney will now go on to compete for Miss America in January in Las Vegas!

As I said before, I cannot think someone who deserves this more than Courtney. She is such a strong person with the help of her unwavering faith in her Lord and Savior. He has begun to show a tiny glimpse of his plan for her life which was so hard to understand just a few months ago. No one will represent our state better than my friend, Courtney Porter! I love you so very much!!! Can't wait to watch you at Miss America!
No comments:
Post a Comment